Thursday, February 25, 2010

Delhi Days

I was in Delhi as a child, but I was only 4, so I don't really remember too much...I remember more about Kashmir, which I visited in 1986 just before the war broke out...

So its now my 3rd or fourth day in Delhi, and one gets used to the crowds of Connaught place the more you go out...

At first it felt like an assault on all of your sense...the noise from the honking of cars and the birds and people, then the smells of the pollution and people having used the streets as their personal bathroom, then the dust and noise from construction, then the amount of people you have to weave through everywhere you walk, then the taste of the dust from the street in your mouth as you breathe...

But now a few days later its not so bad...i think I just had a bit of a culture shock my first day...I find it easier to go out and even cross the busy roads by myself without being hit by a car or bus...
Its much better at night when the traffic is less and there are less people around, but that is also a bad thing because its a little too quiet if you know what I mean...

I went to visit a market called Dili Haat which sell all kinds of Indian wears and you can bargain for a cheaper price...Delhi has been cold, between 15-18 degrees, so I bargained for a shawl...
They also have these beautiful state emporiums which sell goods from each of the Indian provinces, but they are more expensive...the good thing about buying from state emporiums is that the things you buy are of good quality and you know you are not being ripped off, especially when buying jewels or silk...

The past few nights, we've been eating at a place called the United Coffee House...I read about it in Frommers, but it really is good, and its always packed, which is a good sign that a place is worthwhile... What I really like about this place is that they really cook and blend their spices well, so their curries are smooth and really soak into the meat or vegetables you are eating...
I need to learn to do this, so I can improve my own Indian cooking!!!

I haven't done anything really touristy, so tomorrow I am off to Agra for the day to see the Taj Mahal!

No comments:

Post a Comment