





I've just spent the past two days in Goa and am soon headed to Mangalore to see my old family home!
Goa is hot, hot, hot!!! Full of beaches and red dry earth...In fact, it reminds me exactly of Pinar del Rio, Cuba's westernmost province....Even the bus shelters are fashioned in the same way as the Paradero's in Cuba...
Goa has a history of Portugeuse colonialism and it is evident in the names of all the beautiful churches, the cities are lined with Spanish styled haciendas painted in all kinds of bright colours, and has many European tourists visiting...It was once upon a time over 60% Catholic, but now many of the Catholic Goan's have emigrated to Canada, Portugal, USA, London, Australia and Africa...there are many small roadside chapels falling into disrepair, and hindu temples are springing up everywhere...
Goan's are known to be great cooks and musicians....I have some pics but unfortunately can't put them up right now....If any of you are ever planning to go to Goa, I recommend North Goa, Panjim or Calangute, where there is much to see and much to do...Last night I sat on Bagga beach and drank tea, while I watched the sunset...Bagga beach is not only full of tourists and Goans, but dogs who love to play in the surf, and even cows!!! Can you imagine playing on the beach when all of a sudden, a herd of cows run you over???
I ate dinner at a great restaurant called Fiesta last night...it was continental cuisine, and had this very chic and arty atmosphere...the prices were pretty high, but the seafood here is so fresh and tastes sweet!!!
I'm here with my mom, who remember's staying in Panjim in the 1960's on her family vacations...it turns out that thanks to Goa, our old family business, the Rego Tile Factory in Mangalore stays in business...my uncles run the factory now which produces clay tiles, and most of their tile production is sold in Goa...
I've heard there are supposed to be alot of hippies and raves and a Russian mafia here, but I have yet to see them...
Goa is hot, hot, hot!!! Full of beaches and red dry earth...In fact, it reminds me exactly of Pinar del Rio, Cuba's westernmost province....Even the bus shelters are fashioned in the same way as the Paradero's in Cuba...
Goa has a history of Portugeuse colonialism and it is evident in the names of all the beautiful churches, the cities are lined with Spanish styled haciendas painted in all kinds of bright colours, and has many European tourists visiting...It was once upon a time over 60% Catholic, but now many of the Catholic Goan's have emigrated to Canada, Portugal, USA, London, Australia and Africa...there are many small roadside chapels falling into disrepair, and hindu temples are springing up everywhere...
Goan's are known to be great cooks and musicians....I have some pics but unfortunately can't put them up right now....If any of you are ever planning to go to Goa, I recommend North Goa, Panjim or Calangute, where there is much to see and much to do...Last night I sat on Bagga beach and drank tea, while I watched the sunset...Bagga beach is not only full of tourists and Goans, but dogs who love to play in the surf, and even cows!!! Can you imagine playing on the beach when all of a sudden, a herd of cows run you over???
I ate dinner at a great restaurant called Fiesta last night...it was continental cuisine, and had this very chic and arty atmosphere...the prices were pretty high, but the seafood here is so fresh and tastes sweet!!!
I'm here with my mom, who remember's staying in Panjim in the 1960's on her family vacations...it turns out that thanks to Goa, our old family business, the Rego Tile Factory in Mangalore stays in business...my uncles run the factory now which produces clay tiles, and most of their tile production is sold in Goa...
I've heard there are supposed to be alot of hippies and raves and a Russian mafia here, but I have yet to see them...
I forgot to mention earlier that I did visit the famous church which is known to house the remains of St. Francis Xavier, a Catholic Saint. Here's a few pics from the trip...
Another good thing about Goa, besides the fresh seafood is their typical alcoholic drink, Cashew feni...My dad used to tell us stories about his bachelor days when he worked in Goa, and how Cashew feni used to get him into all kinds of trouble...they don't publish the amount of alcohol content on the bottle, as the best Cashew feni is homemade, sort of like moonshine...I remember hearing stories of people who passed out after drinking feni when they were already drunk, and that you should never let it touch your tongue on the way down if you want to keep standing...
Hi Tara!
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky to be back "home" once again! Thanks for making the time to share your experiences. So interesting about your mention faith to Our Lady! I wonder what people would share with you about this if on a personal level. Do post more about your journeys!
Safe travels,
Jen
tara, great blog so far.
ReplyDeletekeep it up!
I am remembering my own trip to India, almost five years ago and the strong connection I felt.
looking forward to living vicariously through your eyes...