Well, friends, it had to happen sometime...the Delhi Belly has hit!!!! The richness of the delicious, fried, spicy food has caught up with me in New Delhi, so I'm taking the day off and just resting my belly at our hostel... So far my first impression on Delhi is....INSANE!!!!
We are staying in the centre of the city near Connaught Place, where the volume of people and cars are just mind blowing...I am scared to cross the street, but I have all the same and don't know how I was not hit by a rushing car or motorcycle...If you don't like crowds, I don't recommend that you stay in the centre of Delhi...
These last two days, there has been some kind of strike or government protest happening outside our hostel on Parliament St. All day, you can here people shouting, or speaking on microphones, and the street is just swarmed with workers holding signs and shouting in solidarity...Last night close to midnight, we heard these loud bangs, which sounded like gun shots, but I don't know what they were, and there was a roar of people's voices coming from the street...I was kind of scared, but I still have not found out what the people are protesting against...I am here for five days, and I was supposed to go on a tour of historical monuments today...Delhi is supposed to be a great place for shopping and has a rich history, so if my belly eases up, I hope to get out on the street and get in on the action...
Also, with the crowds, I get kind of wary of losing my purse or camera, so money belts definately come in handy when in crowded places...there are a lot of underground bazaar type buildings, which house many small shops in dark dingy corridors...a little scary to venture by yourself and a little claustraphobic....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment